One of the most financially sound ways to support Villa Cathay is with the gift of securities (stocks, bonds, mutual funds).
Thanks to changes in the Canadian tax laws in May of 2006, when you donate a gift of securities to a registered charity, you pay no capital gains tax. You will also receive a tax receipt for the full amount of the gift. Not only do you get a great tax break, but you support to our well-deserving seniors.
Typically when you sell a security, you pay tax on 50% of the capital gain. However, when you transfer that same security directly to a registered charity like Villa Cathay, there’s no tax on the capital gain realized. This is a tremendous incentive to give securities as a gift now to ease your own tax burden. You can also defer the gift in your will to offset the tax against your estate.
How to Gift Securities
Please contact your broker and complete this Securities Donation Form. If you hold shares in certificate form, you may fill out the Letter of Authorization form. You can hand deliver, courier, or send them by registered mail Villa Cathay’s office at:
Villa Cathay Care Home
Attn: Director of Donor and Community Engagement
970 Union Street, Vancouver, BC V6A 3V1
For more information, we invite you to connect with Joey Cheung, our Director of Donor and Community Engagement by phone at 604-215-3548 or by email at [email protected].
Villa Cathay Securities Donation Policy
The donation must be an in-kind transfer of the security itself, not the cash proceeds from the sale of the security. This transfer can be easily made electronically from your investment account.
- We will issue a tax receipt for the closing value in Canadian dollars on the date that we receive the shares into our brokerage account.
- If you hand-deliver or mail the shares, we require a properly executed power of attorney. Villa Cathay will sell shares on the same date that we receive it, or as close to it as possible. We will issue the tax receipt for the closing value in Canadian dollars on the date that we receive and accept the shares.
Click to download Securities Donation Form
You can plan for a future gift to a cause that touches your heart. Villa Cathay can work with you to help maximize your tax and estate planning benefits, while you plan for a legacy gift.
- Legal Name: Villa Cathay Care Home Society
- Address: 970 Union Street, Vancouver, BC V6A 3V1
- Charity Registration Number: 11928 5971 RR0001
To begin building your legacy, please contact us today by phone at 604-215-3548 or by e-mail at [email protected].