According to the 2016 Canadian Statistics, the number of seniors aged over 65 has already surpassed the number of youth younger than 14-year-olds in Vancouver. With seniors leading healthier and more active lives, and with their life expectancy gradually increasing, it is estimated by 2031, 1 in 4 Canadians could be 65 and older.
40 years ago, Villa Cathay was built on a solid foundation of not-for-profit social good, but now the building itself is showing its age. Despite the excellent quality of care at Villa Cathay, our current building has a negative impact on the quality of life and dignity our seniors deserve and expect:
- Limited space, hindering the delivery of the highest quality of care to our residents
- Lack of personal space and privacy as residents share rooms with strangers
- Narrow corridors, which impede the safe maneuverability of wheelchairs
- Ineffective access to private bathrooms
- Shortage of private rooms
- Slow elevator function
- Out-dated equipment
Seeing the increase in demand for senior residential care, Villa Cathay embarked on an exciting endeavour, the Villa Cathay Rejuvenation Project. After much planning with different levels of government, we began the rebuilding of our care home in 2016.
Villa Cathay’s Future Design Concept Preview:
Click here to see an animated view of a resident’s room layout in our new building.
New Home Design Highlights
Upon completion, there will be 224 beds (192 publicly funded and 32 private-pay) for seniors in the lower mainland.
- All rooms will be single, private rooms that are wheelchair accessible, equipped with a ceiling lift, washroom, shower, grab bars and health-grade furniture
- 8 resident rooms that can be merged into double occupancy for couples to stay together
- Local light and temperature control for a personalized, comfortable home environment
- Each of our 10-floors will have its own care neighborhood concept (A Villa)
- A neighborhood dining room next to an open-concept servery creates a home-like atmosphere
- A local lounge and leisure activity area encourages socialization with their neighborhood patios
- Access to an outdoor space through neighborhood patios
- Common spa room provides a private bathing experience in a larger, dedicated room
- Care Center for 24-hour personalized, professional care
- Resident amenities include a Wellness Center, a hair salon, dental room, auditorium, gift shop and a family room
- All areas will be temperature controlled for comfort and optimal ventilation
- Significantly larger hallways for wheelchair and walker maneuverability